[Laszlo-user] Open Laszlo IDE

Leonardo Mateo leonardomateo at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 16:09:35 PDT 2008

On Monday 23 June 2008 05:36:36 Khurram Samad wrote:
> Dear Friends
> I floated the idea of IDE for OpenLaszlo almost a year back. Unfortunately,
> I haven't seen much progress in this regard from open source community or
> LaszloSystem itself, except an initiative by Spket.
>
> Can anyone please update me on progress?
Well, I didn't know about this idea, I'm pretty new to OL and, of course, to
this list and the forum too, but, I'd really like an Open Source IDE for OL,
I think this is a big lack. I've been thinking on the idea of develop an IDE,
I've tried the netbeans plugin, but I don't like it too much, for several
reasons.

I haven't had the time yet to write down the main concepts, the scope, etc,
but I'll do it in the next few days. This post really ecouraged me to keep
going on the OL IDE project as I see at least one more person would like it.

I'd like to know if there's anybody with more experience on OL than me who
think that an IDE could improve OL development or the OL project itself.
I've seen the difference between working with an IDE in the case of Adobe Flex
and many other languages and working with just a text editor and, in my
opinion, I think an IDE has a lot of advantages when you use it as a helper
tool. I don't like the idea that makes the IDE a MUST on developing with any
language (pretty much this is the case of Flex), I think you should be able
to develop, compile and link any application without the need of an IDE, but
I like the idea of an IDE that make the things easier for you when you have
to develop big projects.

Any observation, concern, critic, idea, would be welcome.

Cheers.

--
Leonardo Mateo.
There's no place like ~