[Laszlo-user] proposal for new behavior of compiler when declaring child nodes with same name as attributes

P T Withington ptw at pobox.com
Mon Jun 2 08:21:39 PDT 2008

Surely you want to be warned if you are tromping on one of the
attributes of your superclass?

LZX has always only had one namespace.  But it used to have 3 separate
lists of 'initial arguments' to constructors:

1) simple initial values
2) constraints
3) styles

even though these different initial values were all specified in the
same place in an attribute.

This was an unending source of bugs, because people were constantly
discovering that when they subclassed a class, overriding an initial
argument of one kind with another kind never worked the way you
expected.  (E.g., if your superclass constrained an attribute and you
tried to set it to a constant, your superclass would win!  The work-
around was for you to constrain the value in your subclass to a
constant value.)  And each of these lists was treated differently when
they supplied an initial value for an attribute that had a setter!

Now we have a single initial arguments list, and overriding works as
expected.  But also, the processing of values for attributes with
setters is uniform.  This should be a good thing, but revealed a gray
area in the language.  What did it mean to have a child node with the
same name as an attribute?  What if that attribute has a setter?  Or
is processed specially by the class construct method?

To Henry and I, it seems like trying to use the same name for an
attribute and a child node ought to be an error.  But, if you _really_
want this, we give you an out.  You can declare your attribute to be
of type node, and when the child is created, it will be stored in the
attribute (using the setter if there is one).