[Laszlo-user] Change in the way lzpostbody works in 3.2?

James Howe openlaszlo at wingspread.imap-mail.com
Mon Mar 27 15:41:27 EST 2006

I'm trying to get my application to work under 3.2 and I've run into a
problem with submitting information to my back end server via POST.  Take
this program, for example:

<canvas debug="true">
     <dataset name="ds">
     </dataset>
     <dataset name="updater" type="http"/>
	<view>
		<button onclick="doit()">Push Me
			<method name="doit">
				var pointer = ds.getPointer();
				updater.setSrc("http://localhost/test/foo");
				updater.setHeader("Content-Type", "application/xml");
				updater.setQueryType("POST");
				updater.setQueryParam("lzpostbody", pointer.serialize());
				updater.doRequest();
			</method>
		</button>
	</view>
</canvas>

I have a simple servlet which writes information to a log file based on
the information contained in the request.  When I run this program under
3.1.1, I get my XML content as the content of the request (I ask the
request for the content length and then get an input stream on the request
and read the content).  Under 3.1.1, the content information is this:

However, when I run the same application under 3.2, the content is not
retrievable via the input stream for the request, instead, the content is
contained as a parameter value.  My servlet produces the following
information for the content:

Content:

Something obviously changed.  If 3.2 has some improvement which corrects a
defect in 3.1.1, I'm happy to make code changes to work with the new way
of doing things.  I've already had to do that with namespaces.  Basically
what I need to be able to do is execute a POST operation with arbitrary
XML as the posted value.  I'm not posting a form, I'm using a REST-style
interaction where I want to POST some XML which is used to update a
resource identified by the URL.

Thanks!

--
James Howe