[Laszlo-user] combo box bloat == 100 meg laszlo app

Jim Grandy jgrandy at laszlosystems.com
Thu Mar 23 18:48:29 EST 2006

datacombobox *is* newcombobox, just under a different name. The
correspondence is:

incubator/newcombobox becomes base/basedatacombobox
incubator/lzcomombobox becomes lz/datacombobox

The main cause of bloat and slow initialization with combobox is that
it creates a floatinglist instance when it is initialized. So all of
the comboboxes in your application will have an associated
floatinglist instance.

We improved that in newcombobox to share a floatinglist between all
newcombobox instances using the same style. But this created bugs
with data binding and synchronization, so with datacombobox we
changed it so that each instance has its own floatinglist, but the
floatinglist is only instantiated when needed.

This is still a bit fragile because newcombobox/datacombobox is
engineered to get its selection manager and data state from the
floatinglist -- selection and value have to be managed manually until
the floatinglist is created. There are improvements to be made there.

Note that both newcombobox and datacombobox are entirely data-driven
(hence the name of the latter), so you can't supply the menu items
statically as you can with combobox.

jim