[Laszlo-user] about laszlomail rich text editor

DL dl.lists at ntlworld.com
Thu Mar 23 05:13:52 EST 2006

On 23 Mar 2006 at 14:50, jake yang wrote:

> Hi
>
>          I saw there is a rich text editor in laszlomail, but it is
> not powerful enough to parse the html code. So laszlomail needs an
> embedded iframe to show the email body, and it works pretty well. But
> when user wants to reply or forward a mail which is HTML format, we
> can see that, the Rich text editor can not display the html content
> correctly.
>
> I can feel that Laszlo developers are working hard on developing the
> rich text editor, which makes me imaging that maybe one day the Laszlo
> Rich text editor will has the ability to parse the whole web page. Is
> it possible?
>

> Jake Yang

This early experiment with DENG project shows that XHTML (note: fully validated
XHTML, not HTML) can be parsed and rendered inside openlaszlo canvas, to CSS
stylesheets; plus XForms and SVG :-

http://www.laszlosystems.com/developers/community/forums/showthread.php?s=373794ae411903ca637d9403b014e5a0&threadid=5641

Also the XHTML can be built "on the fly" from internal openlaszlo datasets.

However there are restrictions ..

(a) current DENG (deng.swf) is written in Actionscript 1.0 and at some point will need
to be migrated to Actionscript 2.0 and 3.0 (see DENG roadmap).

(b) no way yet found for passing events from DENG back to openlaszlo.canvas so
interactivity is difficult.

Nevertheless, it is an interesting early exercise and shows that a rich text rendering
engine could be built to be embedded in openlaszlo canvas.

For interactive XHTML I guess the embedded iframe approach is still easiest to build.

DL