[Laszlo-user] Emulator for Mobile Apps using Laszlo

Bryan Rieger bryan-on-list at yiibu.com
Thu Mar 2 19:14:04 EST 2006

Hi Rajesh,

I answered this question on the forums the other day, I'm assuming it was
you who posted it there?

http://www.laszlosystems.com/developers/community/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5041&highlight=mobile

Sadly there isn't a Flash Lite emulator outside of the one offered by
Adobe in the update to the Flash 8 IDE. Currently OpenLaszlo can compile
to SWFv7 which just so happens to be the version supported in Flash Lite 2
- which is currently in beta, and what Jim used for his demo on the
OpenLaszlo weblog
(http://weblog.openlaszlo.org/archives/2006/02/openlaszlo-running-on-a-cell-phone/).

You can find out more information about Flash Lite here:
http://www.macromedia.com/software/flashlite/

You can test/prototype using OpenLaszlo and the Adobe Flash Lite 2 player
on a supported mobile device (mostly recent Nokia Series 60 devices) all
you want, but at this stage I wouldn't look at deploying anything going
this route. Flash Lite 2 is currently in developer beta, and Flash Lite v1
(SWF v4/5 spec - not supported output from OpenLaszlo) isn't really in
widespread release outside of Japan. Licensing a new proprietary
player/runtime to OEMs isn't as easy these days - especially in the mobile
space. ;-)

Perhaps in the future we might have the option to publish from OpenLaszlo
to a mobile ajax variant, SVG-T or perhaps a J2ME option? As for the
emulator issues - OpenWave, Opera, Ikivo, Nokia, Sony Ericsson and Sun
(among others) all have plenty of options available for developers.

Regards,

Bryan