[Laszlo-user] Flash 8 - ExternalInterface class

DL dl.lists at ntlworld.com
Sat Apr 29 15:11:16 EDT 2006

On 29 Apr 2006 at 13:14, P T Withington wrote:

> I suspect you might need to say _root.flash...

_______________

I have it working now .. so far, without using _root as prefix

I had a typo error in the path to the movie ..
and so the movie was not being compiled as version 8 and not recognising the class.

Viewing HTML source in this demo gave me  "8.0.15" to use as version.

http://blog.deconcept.com/code/externalinterface.html

Now I'm looking at next step of including ExpressInstall code in lzx app

http://blog.deconcept.com/2005/08/13/using-flash-player-express-install-with-flashobject/

so that an auto update to Flash version 8 can be launched if not installed.

[quote]
All you need to do is place the script somewhere in your Flash class path, and place this code on the first frame of your swf:

if (ExpressInstall.init()) {
    stop();
}The ExpressInstall.init() function returns true or false depending on whether the Express Install was started. If it starts, it returns true, if it doesn’t start, it returns false.

[/quote]

This ExternalInterface API gives a clean way of passing vars between multiple
swf's in same HTML wrapper .. and communications with HTML, SVG objects.

DL