[Laszlo-user] splash tag & forcing the whole app to load

P T Withington ptw at openlaszlo.org
Thu Apr 27 17:28:07 EDT 2006

The Flash player will defer animation updates in favor of loading.
You can prove this to yourself by loading your app through a
bandwidth restricter (e.g., a modem).  When your app is local and
work, rather than spinning animations.

As annoying as this may be, it's going to get your app loaded faster.

Personally I think this is the right choice.  True it is the opposite
of the Windows model which gives priority to the flapping folder, or
the IE model which advances the progress bar whether any data is
actually being transferred or not, but there's nothing you can do
about it, unless you want to artificially throttle your servers.

Similarly, the player will defer animations when there is computation
happening.  If your app is a huge app that initializes all at once,
this will cause any spinners to not get updated.  You can look at the
'initstage' feature to address this issue.  By deferring bits of your
app that are not needed immediately, you will both get to your first
screen faster and possibly free up some cpu cycles to animate your
spinners.