[Laszlo-user] how to get character codes for key events?

Denis Bohm denis at fireflydesign.com
Fri Apr 7 16:19:54 EDT 2006

I'm implementing a terminal emulator and need to get the keyboard input
and send it to the client application.  The terminal emulator is derived
from view.  I'm trying to get the keyboard input using:

        <method event="onkeydown" reference="LzKeys" args="key">

It appears that the key code is that low level keyboard code.  For
example pressing 'A' key on the keyboard with and without the caps lock
on both produce the ASCII code 'A'.  How can I get 'a' when caps lock is
off and 'A' when caps lock is on?  (Caps lock could be on before using
the terminal editor.)