[Laszlo-user] Laszlo on Tomcat 5.5.7

P T Withington ptw at pobox.com
Wed Mar 9 09:55:33 PST 2005

No, that won't be an optimal setting as it will mean that Java will try
to use all your RAM (which it can't, because the OS obviously locks
some pages down) and hence will page, which will make things very slow.

Your best bet is to buy more RAM.

Alternatively, use a lower value for -Xmx, but risk tomcat crashing
because it runs out of memory.

If you leave the setting as is, tomcat shouldn't run out of memory, but
it may be slow due to paging.

On 8 Mar 2005, at 13:53, Abdullah Jibaly wrote:

> Thanks for the help guys, I actually found the answer
> in the catalina.bat file, and when I copied it to my
> catalina.bat it worked fine:
>
> rem LASZLO - up the default JVM heap starting and max
> sizes
> set JAVA_OPTS=-Xms128m -Xmx512m %JAVA_OPTS%
>
> Is this the optimal setting if I only have 512 mb of
> ram total?
>
> Thanks,
> Abdullah
>
> --- Koen Van der Auwera <kvanderauwera at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Start tomcat using this vm parameter : "-Xmx512M"
>> and everything should
>> be alright.
>>
>> Koen.
>>
>> Abdullah Jibaly wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I'm having trouble running Laszlo (either 2.2.1 or
>>> 3.0b1, on Windows XP) on Tomcat 5.5.7. When I
>> dowload
>>> and run the complete server that ships with Tomcat
>>> don't have this problem, it's only when I set it up
>> as
>>> a webapp in an existing Tomcat 5.5.7 container. The
>>> error I get is that the heap size is too small and
>> try
>>> running with the -mx java option.
>>>
>>> Looking at the LPS that comes with Tomcat I could
>> not
>>> find any vm args to modify the amount of memory
>>> allocated to the heap, does anyone know how to
>> solve
>>> this?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Abdullah