[Laszlo-dev] Undefined pattern in AS3

P T Withington ptw at pobox.com
Mon Aug 25 07:46:46 PDT 2008

I thought I ran into this too, but the error turned out to be
something different:

   http://jira.openlaszlo.org/jira/browse/LPP-6781

Are you saying that in AS3 if you replace `void 0` with `undefined`
you won't get the coercion error?  That would be totally strange,
because `===` is not supposed to do any coercion.  It should just
return `false` if it is asked to compare unrelated types.

I think this is really just a bad choice of error message on the part
of the compiler.  What it is trying to tell you is: "You declared
`old` to be of type `Object`, and on the next line, you are asking if
it could possibly be of type `Void`.  That is impossible."

[So, in AS3, for any class `X`, if you declare something as of type
`X` you are implicitly declaring it as `X?` (to use JS2 syntax).  That
is, any var that is declared as a subclass of `Object` is also allowed
to be of type `Null`... but not of type `Void`.

Brendan takes full responsibility for the 'Javascript has two nulls
mess'.  But it appears that Flex has made it a bit messier, by making
`Null` a pseudo-subclass of `Object`, but `Void` not?]

I think you are correct in using `*` as the type declaration when you
want to admit `void 0` as a possible value (although that means you
open it up to other "primitive" types also, which may or may not be
what you want).